A Message from Board President, Pauline Riley
The New Mexico Autism Society wishes you and your family the happiest of holidays and a very Happy New Year. As the year comes to a close, we look back to see where our efforts to support the autism community has taken our organization to promote a community of Acceptance, Support, and Connection. Some of the programs we are working on and other services provided include:
- Partnering with businesses in our communities to support autism friendly events free of charge to families and individuals affected by autism.
- Our partners include:
- Explora! Science Center and Children’s museum
- Basement Barbers in Rio Rancho
- Duke City Music Therapy
- Cool Springz Trampoline Park
- Stone Age Climbing Gym
- Engineering for Kids
- Rio Rancho Premier Theatres
- Fire Station 21
- Gallup Bowl
- Galloping Grace Youth Ranch
- Very Special Arts
- Jump Start Autism Center
- Autism Communication Consultants
- REO Photography – sensory friendly Santa and Bunny photo shoots.
- Provide summer activities for families including barbeques and swim parties.
- Partner with the national Autism & Law Enforcement Coalition to present autism training for all First Responders.
- Promote autism awareness with “Autism Night” at Isotopes Baseball Park, Albuquerque Sol Soccer, and Chick-Fil-A restaurant.
- Present at school assemblies, health fairs, and resource fairs around the State to educate and raise autism awareness.
- Promote Autism Awareness Legislative Day in conjunction with the legislative session to support all legislation that improves the lives of individuals affected by autism in New Mexico.
- Promote monthly support group and meet-ups around the State:
- Albuquerque Mom’s Meet-Up
- Albuquerque Adults with Autism
- Los Alamos
- Santa Fe
- Grants/Cibola County
- Supporting a satellite branch at the University of New Mexico led by students to raise awareness and support individuals on campus affected by autism.
- Provide educational workshops on a variety of topics related to autism.
- Community Walks including: Ellen Reavis Race for Autism-Albuquerque, San Juan County Walk for Autism, and Paving the Way – Roswell Walk.
In this season of giving, please consider supporting the New Mexico Autism Society with a donation for the holidays and/or the New Year. This will allow us to continue our work around the state of New Mexico for individuals and families affected by autism. Donations can be made to the New Mexico Autism Society through our website by visiting www.nmautismsociety.org and clicking on “Support NMAS” or sending a donation to: P.O Box 30955 -Albuquerque, NM 87190
Thank you for helping us to create a community of Acceptance, Support, and Connection throughout New Mexico!
Pauline Riley, NMAS Board President